Disable the annoying restart prompt after installing Windows Updates

I always get caught working on something and find myself interrupted to install updates. I install and clench my teeth knowing that the notoriously annoying restart prompt will bug me until I finish my work and restart.

Fortunately, there is a fix. Just follow these simple steps to make your update experience a bit less annoying.

  • Click Start > Run
  • Enter "gpedit.msc"
  • Select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  • Open "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"
  • Select "Enabled"
  • Open "Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations"
  • Select "Disabled"
  • Now restart for the changes to take effect.

What you just did: Entered local Group Policy and changed Windows Update configurations.

*For more information on Group Policy see Wiki.
*For more information on Group Policy Editor applied locally see Microsoft.
**Original article from 4sysops.

0 comments: